Home About The Fame! Contact

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Chocolate Ginger Brownies



I am a well-mannered young man. I always say please and thank you. (Unless I forget.) But I do think that sometimes, just saying thank you isn't enough. You have to mean it. Show it.

To my mind, brownies mean thank you. They say I care. Making brownies doesn't take very long, but then neither does saying thank you. Some people do neither (rude!). But I do both. Maybe they should just put me in charge of the world.

Anything with all these spices in can only be delicious.

Remember I said we'd been getting free eggs from Mr. Other P's work colleague who keeps hens? Well, there's only so long you can take someone's eggs and bake macarons and what-not without sending a little sweetness back their way as a token of thanks.

I obviously advocate expressing appreciation every time someone helps you out (in keeping with my previously discussed status as a Good Manners Guardian, and future world leader), but since I have a copy of Martha Stewart's Cookies which I really should be doing more to work my way through, I leapt at the chance to make something from it.

Perfect brownies. I almost never get them as good as this batch.

I always think that chocolate is a really boring flavour for cakes and cookies, but you can't really look at the picture of the chocolate-ginger brownies in this book without wanting to bake them immediately. I think I'm doing pretty well having owned the book for a year or so and having waited until now. They are incredibly moist, sweetly yet mysteriously spiced and the unbaked batter is darkly, seductively inviting: you almost do not want to bake it.

That one batch yields sixteen brownies is further cause for joy and elation. It means I get to give eight to Egg Lady (or Julie, as she is known in the office), stuff four in a pretty box as a 'Happy Belated Birthday and thanks for having me over' gift for a work friend, and snaffle two each for me and Him Indoors. There's really only one word for this, and it's 'fabulous'.

You'll note metric measurements as well as cups; I, too, am fabulous.


Chocolate-Ginger Brownies
adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies

You will need:

1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
3 oz (75g) dark chocolate, broken into squares
1 cup (200g) caster sugar
2/3 cup (95 g) plain flour
1/4 cup (30g) cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp fresh root ginger, grated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a 20cm square baking tin (though you could probably use this batter to make brownie cupcakes too. Just an idea, if you don't have the right sized tin...).
  2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
  3. Add all the other ingredients and stir until smooth. (How easy was that? Going to start saying 'thank you' more often, aren't you.)
  4. Pour the batter into the lined pan and bake until set. I gave mine 30 minutes, and they were per-diddley-erfect.
  5. Cool in the pan, and then cut into 16 squares. Or however many you like.

18 comments:

  1. Where are mine sans eggs?! I have an eggless brownie recipe which I might just have to add ginger to next time I bake (it could be a while- I'm cutting out sugar- Typing it out loud makes me want to cry). They do look beautiful, P. *Thank you* for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Brownies and saying "thank you" could probably solve many of the world's problems. So, you have my vote to be in charge of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely way to say thank you and I love the flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fab! The spices must really make these brownies delicious. I agree with your thank you theory - It takes so little to be kind, and appreciate others' kindness - priceless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These beauts are next on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, these look utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why I've never thought of these before--it seems like I should have always made these. My mom loves deep, dark chocolate brownie (which I have the perfect recipe for) and she loves ginger, more than any human should LOL. It seems perfectly natural then, that those should go together. I might make her a batch soon...gotta find good chocolate though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, but T., you need to give her the recipe too. Otherwise, what's she going to do when you swap sides of the pond? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I am finally getting around to posting a comment on your blog, although I linked back here from your comment on my site and NSHP a while ago. I LOVE your blog, and your food makes me want to eat sugary, calorie-laden treats 24 hours a day. I just added you to my google reader so I can keep up with your posts, looking forward to sharing in the future. :)

    Oh, and these brownies with ginger? Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. P., I know exactly what she'll do: "Hey pistachio...can you make me some brownies and put them in the freezer before you leave?"

    Then she'll give me this angelic smile that no one can resist...I know because its the exact same smile I have :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love brownies very much..I usually drop by at the store to buy lots of brownies for my midnight snack!..I do it everyday after work!..

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - these look amazing!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made these, with the addition of chopped crystallised ginger in the mix too--had one little corner one straight out of the oven and they are so delicious. Thank you! And congrats on your marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe worked a treat, I love it- I also really love your blog, I've been visiting it for quite some time now.
    I did a post on my blog of an adaptation of this recipe and included a link to your page. http://thesugarlump.blogspot.com/2012/03/triple-chocolate-caramel-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Mr Perfect,

    I too, have made Ms Stewart's Ginger Choccy Brownies, but when I did, my aged eyes caused me to add one tablespoon of grated root ginger instead of one teaspoon.

    I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

    Try it, and then tell me my version isn't better! ;)

    Regards from the bottom of the planet,

    Left Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. The more I look at your blog, the more I dribble. Can an aged person say "dribble" and still be acceptable?

    yours damply,

    Left Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love these brownies and have made them multiple times to satisfy my chocolate cravings.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails