Home About The Fame! Contact

Tuesday 19 January 2010

Re-Inventing the Lamington Day Four: Purple Rain Lamingtons

Do you REALLY need to garnish a lamington like this with sugar flowers? YES! YOU DO!

(In which Mr. P comes over all Prince and the NPG.)

It is a commonly accepted fact that anybody in possession of a pot of 'Grape Violet' food colour paste can only go on for so long without wanting to dye everything they eat a vivid purple. It's the same with edible glitter, and even more so if said glitter is also purple (One day, I'll do a post on my glitters).

I managed - just - to resist the glitter here, but do feel quite strongly that Prince himself would have wanted me to scatter it with free abandon; I hope he doesn't feel let down.

What's that you say? Prince? What does he have to do with lamingtons? Well, he inspired today's flavour when his song came on the radio. 'Purple Rain', you see, is how Mr. Other P and I refer to the Monin Crème de Violette liqueur we have at the very back of our drinks cabinet. We picked it up at a hypermarket in France, mainly because the bottle was so beautiful, but largely ignore it as the flavour is so strong. Our bottle was half empty, and not looking it's best. So, for your viewing pleasure, I poured it out into the most traditional of all French liqueur vessels, the Japanese tea cup. Observe:

It's like liquid amethyst!

I've thought for ages that it would be a good flavour for cream cheese frosting though, so pulled it out for a starring role in this, my only frosted lamington recipe. And it is wonderful! I don't even like violet flavoured things usually (Parma Violets = Blech!), but these frosted lamingtons are dee-licious. If you are inpired to try a single one of my re-invented lamingtons, let it be this one. You won't regret it.


Too many sugar flowers can ruin a lamington. Be warned.

Next time, I think I'd also dye the sponge itself violet. There's not much point in keeping your hair dry when you're already neck deep in (purple) water, is there? It might be nice to give it a different name though, in that case.

The Lamington Formerly Known As The Purple Rain Lamington?


Purple Rain Lamingtons


You will need:

1/2 quantity of Mr. P's Lamington Base
100g cream cheese
250g sifted icing sugar
2 tbsb Monin Crème de Violette liqueur
Grape Violet food colour gel
coconut chips to coat



  1. Mix all of the frosting ingredients together with a tiny dab of food colour until smooth and creamy. Go as purple as you like.
  2. Cut the lamington base cake into the shapes you desire.
  3. Frost the cut cakes using a knife or spatula. I did frost the underside as well, but if it all gets a bit much, I don't see that it matters.
  4. Press the coconut chips into the frosting and leave to set for an hour or so.
You will have a little frosting left over. You can thank me later.

Don't forget to Re-Invent the Lamington! Deadline 26 January.

15 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! Loving these Lamingtons! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am joining this challenge Mr P....My Lamingtons are ready......will post soon!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah! Make sure you send me a link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fab! Loving the daily updates, keep 'em coming! Can't wait to see more =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are mad sir, mad!!! and truly gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does the purple violet liquor taste like the purple violet candies?...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! You are on a roll with those lamingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! The colors are dizzing! Coconut flakes are so much prettier than the shreds, but I find them cumbersome. This, does not look cumbersome, it looks, well, delicious. As it should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable and love violette booze... so good in cocktails... the two together would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, branching out into coconut chips I see. How risqué!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are indeed my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I have said that about other ones too though. They're cakes - I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, very clever. You can't get the Violet liqueur here, but I have a lavendar liqueuer which I am sure would be a great substitute.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails