Home About The Fame! Contact

Sunday 17 January 2010

Re-Inventing the Lamington Day Two: St. Clements Lamingtons


(In which Mr. P becomes evangelical in his love for the lamington.)

"Oranges and lemons," say the bells of St. Clements.

Yeah? Well, big deal. The bells of St. Lamington say "Oranges, lemons, limes and coconuts!"

Not that this is a war or anything. I'd hate to see the clergy members of two churches fighting over fruit flavours, even if I did just make one of them up (I have checked - there are no churches named St. Lamingtons).


This smelled amazing.

Once again, my Kewpie friends couldn't really resist getting involved with this recipe. Indulge them, please; they don't get out much.

Kewpie, naked except for fruit wig, and bald citrus. Interesting, no?

Just chillin'...


Key points you should know about these lamingtons:
  • Orange, yellow and green flecked coconut coating is a joy to behold;
  • Chopping fruit zest with a mezzaluna is one of the most satisfying things to do in the kitchen (unless you are the type of person who enjoys sifting icing sugar, but then I wouldn't really understand you anyway);
  • Topping the finished lamingtons with fruit gums is an excuse to buy a big bag of sweets. At my age, you need every excuse you can get!



St. Clements Lamingtons

You will need:

1/2 quantity Mr. P's Lamington Base
400g icing sugar, sifted
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lime, zested and juiced
200g dessicated coconut
fruit gums

  1. Cut the cake into 16 squares (or however you like; I'm not laying claim on your free will)
  2. Mix the fruit juices together, and add gradually to the sifted icing sugar, stopping when you have a thinnish glaze. It needs to be thick enough to adhere to the cakes, but not so thick that it clumps. If you make it too thin, add more sugar. And don't worry - the coconut hides everything later!
  3. Mix as much of the finely chopped fruit zests with the coconut as you like. I didn't add too much - about 1 tbsp.
  4. Follow the usual drill - coconut mixture in a shallow dish, icing in a bowl. Dip and roll away.
  5. Dry out for an hour or so on a wire rack, and serve topped with fruit gums.


Don't forget to Re-Invent the Lamington! Deadline 26 January.

19 comments:

  1. I am loving them Mr P, loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KEWPIES ARE SO CUTE! Arghh it makes me want to scream. Lamingtons look pretty with all of that zest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look amazing hon!! My vote is for the Cherry Ripe ones though... HEAVEN! I'm trying to think up a New Mexico inspired Lamington, maybe with Green Chile Jam in the center... Or a savory one made of guacamole and salsa... ew! Keep em coming xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo! So bright - the colors make me forget it's the middle of Winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I like this one.

    Oh and do you have a big box of naked Kewpies stashed somewhere? Citrius Kewpie, holiday Kewpie... perhaps one for EVERY situation?

    Funeral Kewpie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A funeral Kewpie! Whyever not? Maybe I should have had the prize be a Kewpie instead of the cookie cutter!

    Lynda - I think we both know it needs to be a mole lamington. In fact, I'm now distraught that I didn't think of that and am in a hotel in Tokyo without a kitchen to go create in!

    Sanjana - shouldn't you be studying? :)

    Mardi - thanks! With a kitchen that ended up as messay as mine, I am glad to have some complimentary feedback!

    Mae - Yeah, and I am not the only one who made the Clementine connection, it seems. that cracked me up, I loved yours. How is Hubert? Still the outcast?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned so much about Lamingtons in the last week---a food I knew nothing about until now. These are my favorites so far. I just might need to jump on the Lamington craze train.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hubert, is well! And yes, he's still the outcast - now in the sense that he's the only one who's Pocky legs have not buckled under the weight of a lardy cake body yet. The others, sadly, are starting to show their age...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fab - and the Sonny Boy is sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may never want to taste another lamington again! well actually I haven't tasted one yet but I have eaten about a pound of chocolate ganache that was supposed to enrobe them... too tired to take photos maybe tomorrow. Mr. P you are an evil man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh whhhhhhhhhy must you torment me so with your perfectly coated lamingtons??? =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one for me for sure:) I'm a zesty girl who would so tuck into those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this......love it, love it, love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK Mr.P, here is my go at Lamington's from a Canadian who has never had one before !http://withinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/lamington-curse.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. CeeCee - They are FANTASTIC! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This...this is so gorgeous! I'm currently making red velvet lamingtons but this is next. The little flecks of zest are so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should add, I actually live in a suburb called Lamington, in Western Australia, so it's entirely apt that I make lamingtons LOL. The irony will not be lost on my husband!

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails