Home About The Fame! Contact

Thursday 23 September 2010

Banana Refrigerator Cake

OMG. Say you don't.

There's been something of a casein build-up in my fridge recently. Remember all the hoo hah several years ago about butter mountains and wine lakes in the EU? (A note to the unaware - that's what's known as figurative speech. Excited foreign nationals need not rush to book air tickets to Brussels just yet.) Well, it's happened to me. Owing to a top secret, can't-tell-you-anything-about-it-so-don't-even-ask project of mine, I have had to buy 'a great deal' of cream cheese over the last few weeks and months. It has been what I would call horrendous/fabulous. Horrendous for the calories and fat; fabulous because I love cream cheese.

The point. I always take such a long time to get to the point.

Much of it has been languishing though - love me those schedule changes! - and needed using up. Along with some almost black bananas that I don't even remember buying - the to-ing and fro-ing of a flight attendant makes trips the supermarket unmemorable. (Though let's face it - there's nothing particularly memorable about the Co-Op on Crwys Rd anyway, is there?) And some white chocolate bar things that were from... I don't even know where they were from. How did that happen? My cupboards need sorting.

So I called up Rose Levy Beranbaum and asked her, 'Rose, what am I going to do with all of this junk in my kitchen?'

She said, 'Boy, that's what my darned book is for. Now get off the phone, I'm expecting a call.'

(Rose doesn't actually speak like that at all. She's a very articulate and well spoken lady.)

So, a return to Rose's Heavenly Cakes it was. I have mentioned how much I love the book before, so will spare you this time. But I do. I love it, and all the more so for this banana refrigerator cake with white chocolate cream cheese frosting.

You have read correctly. I said banana refrigerator cake with white chocolate cream cheese frosting.

The deal here is that there's no butter in the cake, so it stays soft in the fridge, which is where you need to keep it since it is covered with lovely white chocolate cream cheese frosting. (This is making me drool...)

Reader: I have made a lot of cakes for this blog, to most which you have born witness. I say 'most' because I burned one t'other day on account of the gin gimlets, and nobody is bearing witness to that. Not for nuthin' and no how. The thing is, I don't think I have ever made a better tasting one. Ever. Such is the power of the Rose.



Let's just get to the recipe. I can feel some of you are actually going to make this one. I simplified Rose's frosting, but you can get the ur-recipe here.

Banana Refrigerator Cake
adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes

You will need:

2 very ripe bananas
125 ml crème fraîche or sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
170g caster sugar (or soft brown sugar, I didn't have any)
125ml vegetable oil
200g plain flour (cake flour, should such be available)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

  1. Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Sift together the flour, salt and leavening.
  3. Mash the bananas and mix in the sour cream and eggs. I do this with electric beaters in a large bowl, but Rose suggests a food processor. You must make up your own mind.
  4. When the mixture is smooth, beat in the oil and sugar. Then add the dry ingredients and beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
  5. Pour the mixture into the pan, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the cake tests done.
  6. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a wire rack. The cake humps slightly in the centre, but upon cooling, it's less pronounced.
  7. Frost.

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

You will need:

200g full fat cream cheese
200g white chocolate

  1. Melt the chocolate and cool slightly.
  2. Stir in the cream cheese.

12 comments:

  1. Right. There goes the diet. Thanks a lot.

    M ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's weird? I am going to start baking rounds of cupcakes to test so I can sell them on campus, and my first batch was going to be my carrot cake recipe with the white chocolate-cream cheese frosting from Rose. I think it's a sign...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, to have Rose Levy Beranbaum on my speed dial! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds marvelous! Love the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phwoar. White choco cream cheese frosting. Just gimme a spoon and a bowl full of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love banana cakes! that frosting looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Mr P,

    i haven't commented on here before, but found your blog through Ms Humble and <3 it! :D

    I just wanted to say - i made this cake last night, and brought it into work to share today (am anticipating rave reviews :P ).

    With the icing, I made Ms HUmble's version, but added a couple of tbsp of brown sugar and some vanilla before i firmed it up in the freezer ready to ice - it came out marvelously :) Just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to try.

    Thanks for your beautiful blog - and as an Aussie, i LOVED your lamington comp! :)

    Laurin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monica - this is so worth breaking a diet for.

    T. - OF COURSE IT IS A SIGN! :)

    Laurin - I already know they will have loved it. I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness...I tend to find regular cream cheese frosting to be about as decadent as I can handle. The thought of adding white chocolate leaves me speechless. And wondering if there is white chocolate in the Middle East--it's something I have never thought to look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the cooking shows on "fetafeat" in Jordan while I was visiting. I loved the baking shows especially

      Delete
  10. Always good to have a new recipe for over-ripe bananas, we always have loads hanging around! I just wanted to say how delicious your cake looked :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loves the frosting. Nice cake.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails