Home About The Fame! Contact

Sunday 13 February 2011

Apple Streusel Lamingtons


When I was a child and didn't really know what I wanted to be when I grew up (aside from Columbia in the Rocky Horror show, which has not yet happened, though there is still time), I toyed briefly with the idea of becoming an international pop superstar, and writing songs about the things that mattered to me. Songs that would empower their listeners. Songs that would change the world.

I would give interviews about the songs. Explain their lyrics, and talk about artistic decisions that went into their making. Interviews like this one that Madonna did, which I remembered watching when thinking about today's post. Strange what you remember late at night. Her hair is quite memorable in this though, I suppose.

Looking back, I am glad it hasn't happened I wouldn't be a very convincing chanteur, and nobody wants to hear my songs. What would I sing about? But that interview leads us nicely into the lamingtons of today. No, not the bit about 'getting the right cat' (really, Madonna?) - the bit at the end, about expressing yourself. You ask, you get. Simple.

So to all the people who requested Katherine's amazing Apple Streusel Lamington recipe: here you are. Thank you for expressing yourselves. You are no longer chained down by your inability to say what you feel or go after what you want.

Over to Katherine:

For my entry, I made apple streusel lamingtons. My husband and son hovered until the pictures were finished, then ate everything. I used a half batch of your lamington cake base, and filled it with 2 green apples, diced, boiled in two cups of water ten minutes, until tender and translucent, then drained. 2 tbsp brown sugar 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp vanilla dash nutmeg Mixed well and cooled. Then I dipped the cakes in 8 oz cream cheese, heated until melty and beaten with 1 c white sugar 1 tsp vanilla Then rolled the cakes in streusel 1 c brown sugar 1/2 c flour 4 tbsp butter 1 tsp cinnamon I placed the finished cakes on parchment and baked them in a 300F oven for 2 minutes, just long enough to make them slightly crusty.

5 comments:

  1. my god you're like a younger version of me... do you also hold the shampoo bottle in the shower like it's an award (Oscar... Grammy... Brit) and pretend you've won?... maybe I shouldn't have admitted to that... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, yummmmm!
    and, ha, the dreams sound familiar :)
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy photos!!

    love your blog, I'm following!

    ~Would love you to enter my amazing GIVEAWAY - pasta lesson and meal with wine for two:

    http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-gievaway-yet-ida-restaurant-pasta.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr. P How are you?
    I never really watched Rocky Horror Show, apart from in Glee, I can't remember which one is Columbia (I'll google it in a sec). And like Dom, I've made up my winning speech, for one day (mine is for a Nobel prize or best supporting actor at the Oscars).

    ReplyDelete
  5. How inventive, these lamingtons looks totally divine.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails