Home About The Fame! Contact

Saturday 15 February 2014

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2014 Day Two: Amaretti Lamingtons



I have a friend, Natalie, who, like myself, gets stressed over the sorts of things that others think are hum-drum and don't even bat an eyelid over. We worry too much about what people think. Mind you, conversely, I think we both handle the tough stuff that would turn some people into screaming banshees quite well and with a minimum of fuss, so I guess it balances out in the end.

We have a turn of phrase, if you will, that we dust off to calm each other down in times of panic and drama. We say it in our pitch perfect Northern accents (we're both from the best part of the country originally), and it goes like this:

'Look, Duck: if I had a pound for every time I did something I shouldn't, well then I'd probably have about a tenner.'

It works for us.

Of course, nobody gives me a pound when I do something to be regretted later. And nobody gives me a pound when I do something right either. I think I definitely deserve a pound or two for coming up with these lazy person's lamingtons though -  No baking. Declassé liqueur. Italian glamour. These have it all.

I adore Tia Maria and so does Perce. We have it on the rocks and so should you. But it's also great for soaking cakes to add coffee flavour and sweetness. I used it to moisten some of the hard amaretti biscuits we got given stacks of for Christmas to make these beautiful 'lamaretti' and it has been what can only be called a triumph.

Don't forget: lamingtons are not just for me to re-invent. You can have a go yourself and maybe even win a prize!

Amaretti Lamingtons

You will need:

12 hard baked amaretti (not the soft ones labelled 'morbidi')
100ml Tia Maria
200g milk chocolate
100g dessicated coconut

  1. Melt the chocolate and set aside cool slightly. Set the coconut in a dish. Pour the Tia Maria into a small dish or bowl.
  2. Dip the amaretti into the liqueur and shake off excess. Then dip each wet cookie into the chocolate and roll in the coconut.
  3. Set aside on a plate or rack to set before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails