Home About The Fame! Contact

Monday 9 January 2012

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2012

The very first lamingtons I ever re-invented. Good times!


Well, I give you what you want, readers. Or so I like to think. Thanks to input (pressure?) from the Delicious Delicious Delicious Facebook Page (which is a great way to follow the blog by the way, if you use Facebook. Or indeed to get in touch with me - hit 'like' and join the fun!), I am once again going to Re-Invent the Lamington. Will it be the last time? Who knows.

I am nervous and anxious about whether or not I can do it to be honest. Both in 2010 and 2011 I felt like I had more fails than passes when it came to the crunch. Not so much in terms of flavour - let me just tell you right now, homemade cake and chocolatey coconut goodness can NEVER taste bad - but more in terms of beauty. I am not a shallow man, really I'm not. But I do want the desserts I post here to look the best they possibly can. South Wales in January is not the most ideal place to be shooting photos when you rely solely on natural light, as I do. But whatever; I am up for the challenge, so come along for the ride!

Now. Qu'est-ce que c'est un lamington? I feel like I spend my life explaining this one. Lamingtons are cakes that are popular in Australia. Traditionally, they are cube shaped sponge cakes coated with chocolate icing and coconut. However, I was unimpressed with them when I visited Australia in 2009, and made it my mission to Re-Invent them in 2010, in the process offending several Australians, who are very proud of their nations confections.

I say upfront that I am not here to step on Australia's toes. I am only doing this for fun! 10 days (the run up to Australia Day!), 10 lamington recipes. Are you with me?

As ever, I am opening up the fun to the whole wide world. Why not bake along and Re-Invent the Lamington yourself? In 2011 and 2012 we had a ton of great entries and I even got to speak about them on radio for ABC Canberra. I really hope you get inspired and join in this year as well.

There will be a prize! Want to know what it is? OK then! A copy of The Boy Who Bakes.


For those that don't know, this is the baking book written by the winner of BBC2's Great British Bake Off 2010, Edd Kimber, and let me tell you, it is fabulous. I've been following Edd's blog for years now, and am so pleased to see he has a book out at last. I rooted for him all the way through the show, knowing full well he would win it, and the book is full of all the great recipes you'd expect from him (except no lamingtons). It is the perfect prize: lamingtons are Aussie, but I'm British, and this book is by the guy who put British baking back in style.

Want to win it? Well, then, you'll need to enter!

The rules:

  1. First come up with a unique lamington recipe. Go wild. I will.
  2. Make and photograph your lamington, and post it on your blog, along with the recipe. If you don't have a blog, you can still enter. Just email me photos of the lamington with your recipe, and I'll post it on Delicious Delicious Delicious, as part of the lamington round-up for 2012.
  3. Make sure to mention in your blog post that you're entering the lamingtons as part of Re-Inventing the Lamington 2012, and be sure to email me at the address above with a link to your post. Or leave a comment with a link to it, either way is fine.
  4. Deadline is 31 January 2012.
  5. Multiple entries are permitted. In fact, they are encouraged; everybody likes a lamington!
My Re-Inventions will be posted daily, starting 17 January, and finishing on Australia Day. Make sure you follow along!

16 comments:

  1. I'm in!!!!!!

    Now off to research Lamingtons!

    http://daisycakecompany.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do me a huge favor and make an oreo cookie inspired Lamington. I have tried and tried but they always look ugly. I need some guidance but know it would be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been a year already!... better get my thinking caps on eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! I followed this last year and I can't wait to see everyone's creations again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in!! My poor neglected blog will be happy as well as my family and coworkers who get to try everything. Thanks for doing this again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like I'm the first blogger to post a recipe! I made Meyer lemon Lamingtons with white chocolate and toasted coconut. I'm so excited to join the Lamington fun! http://beeeats.blogspot.com/2012/01/call-me-crazy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lamingtons and these look just amazing - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't jump into the lamington fray just now, but I hope to perhaps be able to in a few weeks. In the meantime, all my best to the contenders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in!
    First up (posted already) is iced faux-vo lamingtons,
    and I have a few more in the work.
    Did you try iced vo-vos when you were in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited to see we have entries already and it is only day one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in too- my very first year of entering! Looking forward to reading all the entries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've had a go at re-inventing the lamingtonfor myself, great idea!
    http://justsocakey.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/re-inventing-the-lamington-red-velvet-lamingtons/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cant believe it has been a year! I totally forgot! This year was life changing for me..so i limited my blogging. I so wish i had more time to enter the contest again.:( I need to retain my title...but alas.....

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails