Home About The Fame! Contact

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Café Bombón



OK, so I don't know if all of you know how it works when you're a flight attendant, but basically, you rarely work with the same person twice. It's pretty amazing if you don't get on with someone (ha!), but deeply saddening when you do, since you never know if and when you'll have the chance to work together again.

I have some Spanish colleagues and years ago, after I had been in Barcelona, one of them mentioned a drink called café bombón that I had seen some people drinking and been curious about but afraid to ask for. ("Yo no hablo español.") I didn't see said colleague again until just recently and so forgot all about it.

Incidentally, I hate not daring to ask about food in foreign countries. Do you know how many stuffed courgette flowers I missed out on in my first few days of being in Rome? I don't even want to talk about it.

Anyway, whilst in The Canaries with the family recently, I made up for it. Turns out this drink is nothing more than a layer of condensed milk (you love it already, right?) topped with a gorgeous shot of darkly viscous espresso.

Percy adores it.

I think you should make one. I happen to have bought some pretty little glasses to serve it in, for authenticity, but you don't need to bother.

Back with a cake soon! I am off to dance off my morning caffeine dose to a few old MJ records.

4 comments:

  1. Argh! I was in Tenerife when I read this and tried to leave a comment...to no avail (lumpy foreign internet)

    The cafe in Puerto was selling these and I wondered what they were. I planned to go back and get one but ran out of time. I must make one myself now we are home. Are you supposed to drink it down in one, mix it together or just go with the flow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I would say sip and savour. I mix it all up and then ready myself for the sugar rush!

      Delete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails