Home About The Fame! Contact

Thursday 29 April 2010

Pie of the Month - April

Love.


OK, who thought there wasn't going to be a pie for April?

(Well, my hand is raised.)

Obviously, I take these pies very seriously indeed, for as soon as the kitchen was deemed usable, this was the first thing I rustled up. I would like to add that cleaning the kitchen, all of the downstairs and garden of dust and rubble after the departure of the workmen took all of Saturday and most of Sunday last weekend, hence the slightly more calorific pie content this month; we deserved it. If you have not spent the weekend cleaning and lifting rubble, but still wish to enjoy my pie, I suggest you make your main course a salad.

No time to make pastry for this one (which I know was the whole point of the pie series anyway, but let's do a Gordon Brown and just skirt around the issue on this, shall we?), so it is a slight cop-out for April: a biscuit crumb base. However, you mustn't feel too disappointed, because the whole thing is made in the blender (even the whipped cream top), so replace your sadness with glee and appreciation of my proclivity for kitchen appliances and let's make a pie. No need to be a malcontent.



(If you had my blender, you'd feel the same by the way. It's a KitchenAid, and was a gift from my mum and sister years ago - basically the best thing I have ever been given.)

The filling is banana and chocolate, which when baked smells somehow of caramel. I have not figured out why or how that can be the case, but presume there is science involved. Which is strangely appropriate because as April's pie was cooling on the counter, I was catching up on some of my favourite food blogs and noticed that Not So Humble Pie is having a virtual pie contest. So over to you Ms. Humble! Why does my entry (which the pie now is) smell like caramel?


I am unsure as to what to call my mysteriously caramel fragranced creation mind you. Drawn though I am to the alliteration of Mr. P's Bitchin' Baked Banana Blender Pie, my grandma reads this blog from time to time and I wouldn't want her to see my bad language. I am full of admiration for those who brazenly cuss on their blogs (swear words are so expressive!), but I'm reticent to follow suit. So I think it will have to be Mr. P's Bad Language-Free Baked Banana Blender Pie for now. That's not what I'm calling it at home though!

Reasons my Pie of the Month should win the Not So Humble Pie Contest:

  • It is particularly scrumptious, even without swear words;
  • Anybody could make it, even without a blender (see alternate method);
  • Chocolate and banana is always a winning combination;
  • Mr. P likes the idea of winning a mystery prize from Morocco.
Wish me luck! (Unless you also enter the competition. In that case watch your back!*)



*I am joking. Let's all be unified in our appreciation of the pie!


Mr. P's Bad Language-Free Baked Banana Blender Pie

You will need:

250g digestive biscuits
100g butter, melted
2 tbsp cocoa powder

4 bananas
2 eggs
300ml single cream
150g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful of chocolate chips

300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

  1. This is easy as pie. In a blender, crush the biscuits until they become crumbs; mix these with the butter and cocoa and press the mixture into a 26cm springform cake tin. Mound the mixture up at the sides, so it becomes more of a pie shell than a base. If you don't have a blender, just bash the biscuits up with something heavy. Or get a blender.
  2. Chill the crumbed mixture base for half an hour or so.
  3. Blend the bananas, eggs, sugar, single cream and vanilla until smooth. Pour this (very liquid) mixture on to the biscuit crumb base, and sprinkle with as many chocolate chips as you like. No blender method: mash the bananas with a fork; add the eggs, sugar, cream and vanilla and mix until smooth.
  4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes, until the banana mixture has puffed up and set. (Your kitchen and home will smell unbelievable.)
  5. Cool on a rack, and chill until needed.
  6. Just before serving, whip the cream and vanilla extract (in the blender, or by hand) to soft peaks and use to top your pie.

9 comments:

  1. Your fork made me laugh!!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, nommy. Tis like a banoffee pie but better. The fork reminds me of those biscuits you used to get.. B.N-B.N's (do dooo do do do):D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pie!

    Also, how would you feel if the mystery prize was a sheep head from Djemaa el Fna?


    ...

    Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic, and the process is just like a pie I made a few nights ago--everything in a blender. Mine was a strawberry-mascarpone pie with a hazelnut crust. Despite the weird ingredient mash-up, it worked.

    Yours, however looks f*ing awesome. Chef Nom Nom agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic, Mr P, can't wait to try it! I've only ever made the classic banana cream pie, layering raw banana slices with the custard. Never heard of a banana pie with the bananas baked in. Intriguing! Oh, and I love the fork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Humble - My inner Indiana Jones (Innerdiana Jones?) would love it, but outwardly I may squeal with disgust. I would have to send you some laverbread as revenge.

    Katiecakes - I thought I'd lost him recently, but thankfully not.

    Sanjana - I want your soup. Right now.

    T - your pie sounds amazing! You should enter the contest.

    Jean - I know, I was scared it wouldn't work. But it did. I'm going to do it with melon next.

    (That's a joke - the thought makes me feel very sick!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too damn funny ! :0 Nice pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried making it, and it was so simple and tasted delicious!!! Great recipe!!! Cute fork too!!! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoo hoo! Another recipe made by a reader.

    I am here for you, people. Here for you.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails