Home About The Fame! Contact

Sunday 14 February 2010

Cake A Difference


A while ago now, my auntie emailed me to let me know about a charity that I'd never heard of before called Bliss. I suggest you take a look around their website for more information, but simply put, it's a charity especially for premature babies.

One in nine of the babies delivered in the UK each year is born premature or sick. You don't need to be a great mathematician to work out that that equates to a lot of poorly babies to look after. Which is good, because I am no great mathematician! I was premature though, and according to my mum, had a tough old time of it as a result. So you can see why I was really happy to learn about a charity that is dedicated to improving the care and treatment provided for babies that are 'born too soon, too small and too sick to cope on their own.'

Last week, Bliss held a nationwide campaign to raise money called Cake A Difference. The campaign forms part of their annual fundraising appeal, Kiss for Bliss. This isn't just clever rhyming. Think about it: a kiss is such an instinctive way to show love or affection. Imagine if you were unable to kiss or touch your newborn baby?

The deal is, through baking and selling cupcakes (symbolising sweet kisses), participants can raise funds that Bliss will use to help families through what must be a very lonely and frightening time.

That is the idea; frankly, I was on board from the moment I realised there was an excuse to make cupcakes. And if that makes me charitable, well, it's possibly the best thing that's ever happened!

I had intended to make cakes for Mr. Other P to sell at work on Friday - Romantic Red Velvets for St. Valentine's Day, of course - but owing to a roster change, had to delay. So I'm baking them today, and they'll be sold tomorrow. You may wonder why I'm not selling them at my place of work, but if you think about it, the answer's simple. Can you imagine trying to get three dozen cupcakes through airport security?

Exactly.

Wish me luck selling them all. It's certainly a worthy cause! If you yourself are interested in following suit and holding a sale, see the Cake A Difference website. Or if you'd just like to make a donation to Bliss, you can do so here.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to help a charity! I think that it is great that you are taking part - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great cause, and I am sure those pretty cakes will sell like cupcakes:) Too worthy a cause, too cute a cake not to sell in no time! Good luck Mr P:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww what a great cause! i was actually a premie too! i was all of five pounds and came almost two months early. i'm really happy that you're partaking in this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations and good luck for you MrP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be a great mathematician, and can attest that this is indeed a lot of poorly babies.

    Nice work Mr. P! Good luck with the selling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its great to find someone who cares!
    & the cake idea is brilliant too! i hope it goes/is going/went well :)

    btw,im not away :|
    im stopping blogging lol,i had all my recipes backed up on a disk for when i returned in 2010 :( and i broke it!!
    so no more me! :(

    Lazy i know!

    ps...The pics are amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the sale went well. I was a premature baby too me and my twin brother were 9 weeks early and I only weighed 3lb 9 (i think) and my niece was also early, definitely a worthy cause

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cause - hope your sale went well. LOL @ Mr. Other P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered your blog today after a personal recommendation from Mowielicious when I saw him on Saturday. I will definitely be back!

    Great to hear you have sold cakes for Cake A Difference, I did 3 toddler groups selling over 200 cupcakes that week and have been exhausted ever since. Now I've still got 8-9 charity boxes of personalised cakes to do and will be blogging those soon.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails