Home About The Fame! Contact

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2011!

Last year, Ms. Humble almost went more lamington crazy than I did!

OMG. It's that time of year again.

I'm sure that last year, after my first experience of lamington madness, I swore that I would never again embark on such a crazed baking mission. But you know what? I've always been quite a changeable person and have a tendancy to forget trauma. Plus, my new kitchen could do with a dusting of dessicated coconut. Welcome to Re-Inventing the Lamington 2011! I'm so glad you could come.

That's right. I am once again going to re-invent Australia's most famous and often under-appreciated baked good. No more dry, bread-like cubes of icing covered cake masquerading as treats! Say hello to 10 days of beauteous (I'll try!), home-spun creations sporting interesting flavour combinations, and sometimes inappropriate garnishes.


Cherry Ripe Lamingtons were my first stab at re-invention. I salivate in memory.

To the uninitiated, January 2010 saw Delicious Delicious Delicious go lamington crazy, posting a new lamington recipe everyday for 10 days leading up to Australia Day. (Which seems an appropriate day to make lamingtons!)

Once again, I shall be making this a contest and inviting to you join in, spread the word and bake along with me. Last year I was shocked at how creative and amazingly talented you all were. I hope this year even more of you feel inspired to re-invent the lamington, and unleash your inner baking fabulousness. You might even win a prize!




Yes. A prize. In a similar vein to last year's competition, which saw Sanjana of Ko Rasoi emerge victorious, this year's prize will also be food-related. I shall be awarding the best lamington submitted a copy of the incredibly wonderful Rose Levy Beranbaum's book, Rose's Heavenly Cakes.I first heard about Rose when hosting Re-Inventing the Lamington last year, and it's fair to say that her book has changed my life. Albeit in a very small, cake-related way. Her knowledge of baking is second to none, and her recipes are unlike anyone elses, from their ingredients to their mixing methods. I don't think I have ever made so many recipes from a single cookbook, and with such consistently good results. Her red velvet cake is to die for, her chocolate velvet fudge cake sensational, and her true orange génoise is a masterpiece. All these recipes and more are in the book. You want to win a copy, don't you?



If that doesn't float your cullinary boat, well, fear not. Second prize is a Kewpie. I've been letting them pose on my blog alongside the food for far too long now. It's about time they starred in some of your blogposts! The Kewpies come in a sealed box to protect their identity ( at least, that's what I think they're sealed for...), so I don't actually know what kind of doll you'll get. It might be an animal, a fruit or a vegetable. How exctiting!


So what do you have to do to enter? Why, I'm glad you asked!

  1. First come up with a unique lamington recipe. See last year's round-up for inspiration, if you have trouble.
  2. Make and photograph your lamington, and post it on your blog, along with the recipe. If you don't have a blog, you can still enter. Just email me photos of the lamington with your recipe, and I'll post it on Delicious Delicious Delicious, as part of the lamington round-up for 2011.
  3. Make sure to mention in your blog post that you're entering the lamingtons as part of Re-Inventing the Lamington 2011, and be sure to email me at the address above with a link to your post. Or leave a comment with a link to it, either way is fine.
  4. Deadline is 26 January 2011 at 12:00 GMT.
  5. Multiple entries are permitted. In fact, they are encouraged; everybody likes a lamington!
I hope you'll check back for the daily lamington posts which will be starting on 17 January. Even more so, I hope you'll bake a few lamingtons along with me an enter the contest.

Happy New Year, and here's to a few happy hours in the kitchen!

43 comments:

  1. Mr. P,

    You totally read my mind. Just the other day I was thinking about Lamingtons and that you should do another contest. And, I just received Rose Levy Berenbaum's Cake Bible for Christmas. It's amazing, so of course, I would love to have her new book. A kewpie would be pretty cool, too.

    So, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! I missed it last year so I'm hoping to enter this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only traumatic until the pain goes away lol
    Living in Australia you don't see anything but the standard lamingtons (usually :))I will definately be participating

    Love your work Mr P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for all three of you! Curtis, I've never read The Cake Bible, but the Heavenly Cakes book is superb. What you really need though is the Kewpie, because your beautiful pies and cakes have been without for too long! :)

    Meg - Can't wait for your entry!

    Nightwyrm - I remember we had a lamington swiss roll once. It had potential. What are you going to make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. all are so so delicious. i have to make lamington again soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what a Lamington is... other than the pictures you show on your blog... I guess I need to go back and read... then you can count me in!... can't wait! Happy New Year by the way x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray!! \o/

    Have a sticky by my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year I tried to make an Oreo Cookie Lamington. I failed in construction and it turned out to be an ugly greyish color but it tasted great! Considering Oreos are few and far between here in Belgium, I think I will try something else this year...maybe Belgian Speculoos? Can't wait to see what you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr P, Ms Humble's lamington looks like a lamington hedgehog! Better still, if it was a true blue lamington then it would have to be an echnidna lamington aka spiny anteater lamington! (But I don't think that's what she had in mind). Nevertheless, I salute your quest to elevate the humble lamington and look forward to yet more outrageous creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, I am doing Speculoos too! Maybe I shouldn't give that away... It's the last I'll be saying on the matter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time will prevent me from joining the fun, but you can bet I'll be back to track the contest. I am relatively new to your blog but wanted to let you know how much I like the food and recipes you feature here. I visit as often as I can. I hope you had a great holiday and that the new year brings all measure of good things your way. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited! I saw your lamington parade far too late last year to participate; I can't wait to enter this competition. Thanks Mr. P! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course, I'm in! Wouldn't miss it. I love Rose too - she's my baking goddess!
    ceecee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some gorgeous lamingtons, been hoping to try some for the past 11 months. Where DOES the time go! Hope to find a patch of unscheduled time and jump into the fray!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The White Rabbit10 January 2011 at 00:29

    A savoury spin off of lambingtons..perhaps cocoa dusted and breadcrumbed lamb fillets sandwiching beetroot relish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hah the lambingtons made laugh, so clever! i'm excited to see the parade of inappropriate garnishes this year! hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am I allowed to enter again? Because I really want that Kewpie. Really, really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The lambingtons are just too cute! I had lamingtons for the first time this Christmas. I enjoyed them except for the chocolate - I don't really think a chocolate coating works with coconut and jam. I might be alone on this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good stuff! I wish you and all your readers a fantastic 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I used my best idea last ear, but if I am inspired, I'd love to go round again - it's a matter of national pride.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This challenge make me nervous, to be honest! I have absolutely zero first hand familiarity with the Lambington - except of course for observing last year's fun. I shall put on my thinking cap however and see what I can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh I've had an idea at the back of my mind for a tribute to the Lamington, can you believe I've never tasted the real thing so I am hardly in a position to do my own version!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi There
    I'm a new follower and absolutely love your blog: )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome Manni! :) You going to Re-Invent? All the cool kids are doing it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG!! Hello fellow Mr. P!! I can't believe I found your blog! It's so good to meet Mr. P and Mr watermelon :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Is the one word to describe my happiness after coming to your blog. And am following you for more of such lovely info and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. here is a sneak peak of my Lamington :)

    http://astheroshe-accro.blogspot.com/b/post-preview?token=2zZbki0BAAA.IXPpzUkCt-RE6EXYnYo8YQ.rHA5PnuqWAAWw51dkdngNg&postId=2796395536255778866&type=POST

    ReplyDelete
  28. opps..here i think...it was a long weekend ..

    http://astheroshe-accro.blogspot.com/2011/01/rehrucken-lamington-reinventing.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Here are my lamingtons - flying the Aussie flag:

    http://kitchenlaw.blogspot.com/2011/01/re-inventing-lamington-2011-chocolate.html

    Love this event and can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was pleasantly surprised to find my corner shop had slightly reinvented their lamingtons...they used a chocolate sponge! First reinvention I've ever seen in your typical Aussie shop (apart from strawberry and lemon glaze instead of chocolate, those are standard now)

    I am making your St Clements ones for an australia day BBQ but just lemon and lime, Green and yellow are Aussie colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I admired this last year, and thought how amazing the entries were! This year, I've hopped into the fray too (it's my first time doing any sort of baking round-up, so I'm a bit nervous...). My lamington brownies are at Penguins & Parentheses

    ReplyDelete
  32. I admired this last year, and thought how amazing the entries were! This year, I've hopped into the fray too (it's my first time doing any sort of baking round-up, so I'm a bit nervous...). My lamington brownies are at Penguins & Parentheses

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Excellent Mr P, glad to see this one back again this year. I had so much fund last year. Jumped in and got my entry done today. http://adeliciousyear.blogspot.com/2011/01/re-inventing-lamginton-rolled.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't know what they do to lamingtons over there but here in Oz they're to die for. Looking forward to seeing all the reinventions!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Here's my entry. Enjoy!

    http://for-goodness-cake.blogspot.com/2011/01/re-inventing-lamington-2011-o-canada.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Here is my entry:
    http://happyvalleycook.blogspot.com/2011/01/kryptonite-lamington.html
    Thanks
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  39. Crumbs, I had no idea there were so many passionate lamington reinventers out there! I'm a traditionalist myself, but will be definitely checking back to see what creations you all come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just finished up my lamingtons now. Can't wait to see everyone's all tallied up. Thanks for the fun, Mr. P!

    http://noobcakes.thundernoodle.net/2011/01/25/the-n00bington-reinventing-the-lamington-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mine are up on Australia Day!

    http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/01/pumpkin-lamingtons-for-australia-day/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Mr P,

    Here is my entry - http://happyvalleycook.blogspot.com/2011/01/el-coco-lemingtons.html

    Thank you

    Chocolate Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mr. P!

    I finally got my entry up! I had so much fun making them!

    Thanks for extending the deadline :)

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails